Shooters Pistol Range logo

You must first pass an NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course
How do I get a permit to carry a gun in the State of Connecticut?
In order to get a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers you must first obtain a Local Permit. Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.
How do I apply for a Local Permit (Temporary State Pistol Permit)?
You must go to the Police Department or First Selectman of the town where you live and get the application. The application has all the instructions necessary to obtain the permit. The cost of the permit varies from town to town but is usually approximately $35.00, and it generally takes eight weeks to obtain.
Once I have received a Local Permit, how do I apply for a State Permit?
New applicants must provide proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, voters registration card or U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.
How do I change my address on my Pistol Permit?
You can either call (860) 685-8494 or e-mail the information, or you may mail a letter to:
          Department of Public Safety
          Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
          P.O. Box 2794
          Middletown, CT. 06457
Change of address is required within 48 hours, and the letter should include permit number, name, date of birth, old address, and new address.
May I keep my Pistol Permit if I move out of state?
Yes, providing you notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of the change of address, and continue to renew your permit.
How long is a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers good for?
Currently a permit is valid for 5 years from date of issue unless revoked or suspended.